Saturday, August 14, 2010

The Art of Listening

Recently a colleague shared a TED video with me, Evelyn Glennie Shows How to Listen, which, to me, illustrates a very good example of the 'art of listening'...

Listen carefully.....



When I first listened to the video my attention was really on other things- my mind was thinking about what could I post that would help my many teacher-friends who will be returning to work to begin a new school year soon. Of course, I wasn't listening- my mind was thinking about technology and about a million other things...

But, after closely listening to the video I realized how much of its' message relates to teaching. One of the most important tasks of any teacher is to really listen to our students and how we learn so much about being a teacher and about our students through listening & reflection; how we have to listen to ourselves to do what we think is the best way to support students in their learning, and how everything we do, little or big, has an impact on our students' learning and their lives.

As educators, we know that teaching is not just about teaching content, but about our passion for teaching, the relationships we build with our students, and how important it is to transfer our passion for learning to our students in those relationships. This video reminded me that teaching is not just about the technology we use, but so much more.

So begin this school year by listening to your students and yourself. It may take you and your students to unbelievable places.

No comments: